Trademark application fees
Fees associated with filing trademark applications in Armenia, as well as other trademark charges, are available in the fee calculator.
Multiple-class trademark applications
Multiple-class trademark applications are possible in Armenia.
Trademark Application Filing Requirements in Armenia
The official language of the proceedings before the Armenian Patent Office is Armenian. A trademark application should be filed in Armenian; however, the documents accompanying the application may be filed in any language. The translation thereof should be submitted within 2 months from the filing date for foreign applicants and at the time of filing for nationals.
The trademark application filing date is accorded to an application if the Patent Office receives:
- a request to register a trademark;
- Trademark applicant’s details;
- representation of a trademark;
- a list of goods and/or services;
- payment receipt of the official filing fee.
An original of a sealed/stamped Power of Attorney should be filed together with the trademark application or within two months from receipt of the notification from the Office. In case the stamp is not available, the POA must be notarized.
To confirm the priority right, if priority is claimed, the applicant must provide a certified copy of the Priority Document together with its Armenian translation within three months from the filing date.
Publication, opposition, and examination of an Armenian trademark application
The formal examination is conducted within one month from the filing date. Upon completion of the formal examination, the application is published and then examined as to substance within 3 months from the publication date. Oppositions may be filed within two months from the publication date.
Grant, validity term, and trademark renewal of Application
The official fee for trademark registration in Armenia should be paid within three months from receipt of the notification about trademark registration. Trademarks in Armenia are valid for ten years from the date of filing and may be renewed for a further 10-year period an unlimited number of times. Requests for trademark renewal should be filed during the last year of the current trademark validity term. However, renewal requests may be filed within a grace period of 6 months following the expiry of the trademark validity, provided that a corresponding surcharge is paid. Reinstatement of a lapsed trademark is not possible after the expiration of the grace period.
Duration of the Trademark Application Registration Procedure
It takes an average of 10-12 months to register a trademark application in Armenia.
If a trademark has not been used for a continuous period of 5 years from the registration date, its registration may be canceled upon a third party’s request.
Representation by an Armenian trademark attorney
For foreign applicants, it is necessary to be represented by an agent, a registered Armenian trademark attorney.
- Online Search Databases: Armenian Trademarks, International Trademarks.
- Response to the provisional refusal of an international trademark registration must be filed within 2 months from the date of its receipt by the holder. This time limit can be extended to 6 months. Evidence of the date of receipt must be submitted together with a response. It is necessary to appoint a local representative for filing the response and/or requesting a time extension. The response must be filed in Armenian. Final refusal may be appealed within 3 months after its issuance.
If you have any queries related to the Trademark Filing in Armenia, please contact IIPLA team. We will be more than happy to resolve your queries free of cost.