Fees for Bulgarian PCT National Phase Entry
Fees associated with Bulgarian PCT national phase entry as well as other patent fees are available in the fee calculator.
Deadlines for the National Phase Entry in Bulgaria
The PCT application must be filed in Bulgaria within 31 months from the earliest priority date. The extension of this deadline is not possible.
Minimum filing requirements for Bulgarian patent application based on PCT
To obtain a filing date a Bulgarian patent application based on PCT must contain:
– a request for the grant of a patent containing the title of the invention and the data identifying the applicant, in the Bulgarian language;
– specification and drawings in any language.
Language of the Bulgarian patent application
The official language is Bulgarian. If the PCT application was filed in any other foreign language, translation into Bulgarian should be provided within three months from national phase entry. This term cannot be extended.
Power of Attorney requirements in Bulgaria
Official legalization is not required for the Bulgarian national phase entry. The signed and stamped POA may be submitted within three months from entering the Bulgarian PCT national stage.
Substantive examination request for Bulgarian patent application
The substantive examination on Bulgarian patent application based on PCT should be requested together with the entry into the Bulgarian PCT national phase.
Time limits for amending the Bulgarian patent application based on PCT
The Bulgarian patent application may be amended during its pendency in the patent office until the decision to grant a patent is taken.
Novelty grace period for Bulgarian patent application
A Bulgarian PCT application may be filed within six months after the disclosure at an officially recognized exhibition.
Grant, validity term, and patent maintenance fees in Bulgaria
Patents in Bulgaria are valid for 20 years from the filing date. Annual maintenance fees are due each year starting from the international filing date and should be paid within three months from receipt of the Notice of Allowance alongside fees for grant and publication. All subsequent annual fees should be paid in advance no later than the last day of the month when the anniversary of the international filing date occurs. Payment cannot be made more than 12 months before the anniversary of the international filing date. Late payment of annuities is possible within 6 months from the due date together with a corresponding surcharge. It is not possible to pay annuities in an accumulated manner.
Representation by a Bulgaria patent attorney
Foreign applicants must perform the PCT national stage entry in Bulgaria through an agent, registered in Bulgaria patent attorney.
1. Online Database for European Patents (EPO) Search.
2. The PCT application in Bulgaria may be nationalized via registration of the European patent and its further validation in Bulgaria.
3. PCT applications may also be protected as Utility Models in Bulgaria, which are subject to formal examination only. Methods, chemical compounds, and the use of a product are not protectable. The time frame for registration of utility models is 12-18 months. The initial protection term is 4 years with two renewals, 3 years each.
If you have any queries related to the PCT National Phase Entry in Bulgaria, please contact IIPLA team. We will be more than happy to resolve your queries free of cost.