Trademark application fees in Bulgaria
Fees associated with filing trademark applications in Bulgaria, as well as other trademark fees, are available in the fee calculator.
Multiple-class Trademark applications
Multiple-class trademark applications are possible in Bulgaria.
Minimum Trademark Application filing requirements in Bulgaria
To obtain a filing date, the trademark application in Bulgaria must contain:
– application form, containing the name and address of the applicant;
– representation of the mark;
– list of goods and/or services.
The term for filing a trademark application in Bulgaria claiming conventional priority is six months from the priority date. The extension of this term is not stipulated.
Requirements for the Power of Attorney in Bulgaria
Official legalization is not required. The signed and stamped (if applicable) POA form must be submitted within two months from notification.
Priority document for application
Priority must be claimed on filing. The priority document must be submitted within two months of filing a trademark application in Bulgaria. The translation into Bulgarian is not usually requested by BPO.
Opposition period for trademark application
Within three months from the application publication, any interested person may file grounded opposition against the Bulgarian trademark application.
Grant, validity term, and trademark renewal in Bulgaria
The Grant fee is to be paid within one month of the registration. The trademark in Bulgaria is registered for 10 years starting from the date of filing. Trademarks in Bulgaria may be renewed for ten-year periods. The renewal fees can be paid during the last year of the protection period or within six months after the due date by paying the extra fee.
In case a registered trademark in Bulgaria is not used in this territory within five years from registration, the registration may be revoked unless there are legitimate reasons for non-use.
Representation by a Bulgarian trademark attorney
Foreign applicants must perform the trademark prosecution in Bulgaria through an agent, a registered in Bulgaria trademark attorney.
What can be registered as a Bulgarian trademark
Signs that can distinguish the goods or services of one person from the goods or services of other persons and can be represented graphically. Such signs may be words, including personal names, or letters, numerals, drawings, figures, the shape of goods or their packaging, a combination of colors, sound signals, or any combination of such elements.
1. Online Search databases: EU Trademarks, International Trademarks.
2. Trademark protection in Bulgaria may also be obtained via registration of a European Union Trademark.
3. The time limit for filing a response to an international registration provisional refusal in Bulgaria is 3 months. The time limit starts on the date when the applicant receives notification from WIPO. The date of receipt must be confirmed by providing some sort of evidence, e.g. a postmark. The language of the response is Bulgarian. It is necessary to appoint a local representative, a Bulgarian patent attorney, for responding to the provisional refusal.
If you have any queries related to the Trademark filing in Bulgaria, please contact IIPLA team. We will be more than happy to resolve your queries free of cost.