Industrial Design Application Fees
Fees associated with filing industrial design applications in France, as well as other design fees, are available in the fee calculator.
Multiple industrial design application
Multiple design applications are possible in France provided that the products belong to the same class of the Locarno classification.
Design Application Filing requirements in France
The official language of the proceedings before the INPI is French.
To obtain the date of filing, it is necessary to provide the INPI with:
– information about the applicant;
– number of designs filed;
– total number of representations of the design (may not exceed 100);
– number of representations referring to each design;
– description of the product;
– priority claim (if applicable);
– representation of the design;
– power of attorney (not necessary if represented by a registered patent attorney);
– payment of the corresponding fees.
A certified copy of the Priority Document translated into French shall be submitted within three months from the filing date.
Analysis of a French industrial design application
Applications for industrial design registration are examined as to compliance with formal requirements.
Novelty grace period for application in France
Disclosure of a design will be disregarded if it occurred within twelve months before the filing or priority date:
– by the creator, his/her successor in title or by a third party who obtained information from the creator or his/her successor in title;
– as a consequence of abuse about the creator or his/her successor in title.
Grant, validity term, and design renewal fees in France
There is no official grant fee in France. The initial term of an industrial design registration is five years from the filing date, extendable four times up to 25 years. Renewal fees should be paid within six months before the last day of the month in which the registration expires. The payment still may be effected within a grace period of six months after the due date, corresponding surcharge applies. The first extension of the term may be requested at the time of filing.
Duration of the industrial design application registration procedure
The approximate time from filing to the registration of an industrial design in France is 10 months.
Representation by a French patent attorney
For applicants not residing in France, EU, or EEA (European Economic Area), it is necessary to perform trademark registration through an agent, a registered French trademark attorney.
1. Online Search Databases: French Designs, Community Designs (EUIPO), DesignView
2. Industrial design protection in France may also be obtained via registration of a Community Design.
If you have any queries related to the design patent registration in France, please contact IIPLA team. We will be more than happy to resolve your queries free of cost.