Fees for Patent in Greece
Fees associated with filing patent applications in Greece, as well as other patent fees, are available in the fee calculator.
Term for filing a Greek patent application
The patent application in Greece claiming priority must be filed within 12 months from the priority date. The restoration of this term is not possible.
Minimum patent filing requirements in Greece
To obtain a date of filing the patent application in Greece must contain at least the following:
– application form;
– description of the invention;
– claims on a separate sheet of paper;
– proof of payment of the filing fees.
Language for the patent application in Greece
The official language of the Greek patent application is Greek. The application may be submitted in English, French, or German. The translation into Greek must be provided within four months from the date of filing.
Priority document for patent application
The certified copy of the priority application and attested translation thereof into Greek must be filed within four months from the date of filing the patent application.
Power of Attorney requirements in Greece
The Power of Attorney is not required to be officially legalized. It may be submitted within four months from the filing date of an application.
Assignment Deed for Inventor’s Rights
Assignment of inventor’s rights legalized by Apostille must be provided in case the applicant is not the inventor, within four months from the filing date.
Additional documents for patent application
– certified copy of an extract from the Register of Commerce reflecting the Incorporation of the applicant’s company, legalized by Apostille;
– certified copy of the articles of the applicant’s company, legalized by Apostille, proving that the person signing the Power of Attorney has the legal capacity to represent the company (if this detail is not reflected in the extract from the Register of Commerce).
Additional procedural requirements for application in Greece
The substantive examination procedure is not stipulated in Greece. Within four months from the filing date, the applicant should pay Greek Patent Office the prescribed filing fees for the first and second year of protection and search report fees. In case the filing fees are not paid within the term of 4 months, the patent application is deemed to be withdrawn. If the final search report fees are not paid within the stipulated 4-month deadline, the patent application in Greece will be automatically converted into the Utility Model application.
Grant and patent maintenance fees in Greece
There is no specified time limit for the payment of the grant fee – the application remains pending until payment of the grant fee. Annuities must be paid each year up to the last day of the month corresponding to the date on which the application was filed. Annuities are due also for pending applications beginning with the third year. Payment in an accumulated manner is possible.
Representation by a Greek patent attorney
Foreigners must perform the patent prosecution in Greece through an agent, which is the registered Greek patent attorney.
1. Online Search databases: Greek Patents, European Patents (EPO).
2. The PCT application in Greece may be nationalized only via the European route and its further validation in Greece.
3. Inventions may also be protected as Utility Models in Greece, which are subject to formal examination only. Processes and inventions in the chemical, biological or pharmaceutical sectors are not protectable. The maximum protection period of a utility model in Greece is seven years from the date of filing. There is no limitation in the number of claims to be registered as a Utility Model in Greece.
If you have any queries related to the Patent Filing in Greece, please contact IIPLA team. We will be more than happy to resolve your queries free of cost.
You must log in to post a comment.Thanks for submitting your comment!