Trademark application filing fees in Hungary
Fees associated with filing the trademark application in Hungary as well as other trademark fees are available in the fee calculator.
Multiple-class trademark applications
Multiple-class applications are possible in Hungary.
Minimum Trademark Application Filing requirements in Hungary
The language of the proceedings before the Hungarian Intellectual Property Office is Hungarian. However, an application may be filed in a foreign language, but the Office may require the translation to be submitted. The Hungarian translation of the specification of goods and services must be submitted within 2 months from the filing date.
To obtain the date of filing, it is necessary to provide the Hungarian Intellectual Property Office with:
– request to register a trademark;
– name and address of the applicant;
– representation of the trademark;
– list of goods and service for which trademark protection is sought;
– priority data (if applicable).
The original Priority Document shall be filed within four months after the date of filing.
A simply signed Power of Attorney may be submitted within 30 days from the filing date. Legalization or Notarization is not required.
The convention priority can be claimed within 2 months following the date of filing in Hungary.
Analysis, publication, and opposition of a Hungarian trademark application
The Hungarian Intellectual Property Office conducts the formal examination, substantive examination, and a search for prior trademarks automatically. The opposition may be filed within three months after the publication date.
Grant, validity term, and trademark renewal in Hungary
The term of trademark protection is 10 years from the filing date. The duration may be renewed for further periods of 10 years. An application for renewal shall be submitted within six months before the expiry of trademark validity or within a grace period of six months after the expiry of the trademark validity alongside payment of an additional late renewal fee.
Duration of the trademark application registration procedure
If the prosecution process goes smoothly, the average processing time of a trademark application is 7-9 months.
Trademarks may be subject to cancellation based on non-use in respect of all or some goods or services during a grace period of 5 years following the date of registration if the use of the mark was not initiated or if the mark was not used for 5 consecutive years.
Representation by a Hungarian trademark attorney
For foreign trademark applicants not residing in the European Economic Area (EEA), it is necessary to perform trademark registration in Hungary through an agent, a registered Hungarian trademark attorney.
1. Online Search Databases: Hungarian trademarks, TMview, International Trademarks.
2. The term provided by the Office for filing a response to the provisional refusal of an international registration in Hungary is 3 months. The calculation of the term starts on the date the Office issues the provisional refusal. Extensions of the initial 3-month term are possible. The language of the response is Hungarian. For foreign applicants not residing in the European Economic Area (EEA), it is necessary to appoint a local representative. There is no option to request revision or file an appeal before the Office.
If you have any queries related to the Trademark Filing in Hungary, please contact IIPLA team. We will be more than happy to resolve your queries free of cost.