About the Course:
Understanding the tools, tricks and traps associated with patent searches will enable you to better determine patent value.
This session presents a step-by-step explanation as to how to conduct patent searches–of US, European, Canadian, Australian and Chinese patents–using free on-line tools. Listeners will glean valuable insights into dissecting patent families as well as assessing prosecution history, patent enforceability, assignments, and prior art.
The following are among the issues discussed:
- Reviewing the strength of patent families
- Determining potential fraud in terms of declaring entity status
- Discovering self-created prior art
- Assessing the inventors’ unconscious unease during the drafting of the patent
- Weighing the importance of examiner citations
- Discovering which patents are enforceable or abandoned insofar as maintenance fee payments
- Delving into the history of patent prosecution to determine the rigor of the examination process
- Uncovering potential attempts to disguise the ownership of patents
- Understanding which classification sources are most telling
- Where to find forward citation analysis for free
- How to quickly find a company’s breakdown of patents by classifications for free
- How to effortlessly determine a company’s most prolific inventors
Course Leaders: Janal M. Kalis, Shareholder, Schwegman, Lundberg & Woessner, P.A.
Janal is a registered patent attorney with expertise in chemical engineering, chemical and mechanical patent law, including extensive experience drafting and prosecuting patents for chemical engineering processes, food products, cosmetics, coatings and medical devices throughout the world. Janal received a B.S. in biochemistry from the University of Minnesota as well as a B.S.Ch.E. in chemical engineering from the University of Minnesota. She received her law degree from the University of Utah. Prior to entering law school, Janal worked for many years as a research scientist in the area of virology and as a chemical engineer in the electrical utility industry. Janal has significant experience in counseling clients on the development and enforcement of their intellectual property portfolios. She also has experience in the preparation and negotiation of contracts for technology licensing and joint development.
Course Length: Approx. 1.0 hours
There are no reviews yet.