Trademark Application fees
Fees associated with filing trademark applications in Austria, as well as other trademark charges, are available in the fee calculator.
Multiple-class trademark applications
Multiple-class trademark applications are possible in Austria.
Trademark Application Filing Requirements in Austria
The official language of the proceedings before the Austrian Patent Office is German.
To obtain the date of filing, it is necessary to provide the Patent Office with:
- a request to register a trademark, containing a name and full address of the applicant(s);
- representation of a trademark;
- the list of goods and services according to the Nice classification;
- Power of Attorney.
It is not usually required to submit the Priority Document; however, it may be requested by the Patent and Trademark Office.
An original or a certified copy of the Power of Attorney is to be filed with the Patent and Trademark Office. It should be provided along with an application.
Analysis, publication, and opposition of a trademark application in Austria
The examination process consists of a formal examination, a search for prior trademarks (optional), and an examination of distinctiveness. The opposition period for the trademark in Austria is three months from the publication of the registration.
Grant, validity term, and trademark renewal of Application
The grant fee is to be paid together with the application fees. The validity term of a trademark in Austria is ten years from the filing date. Trademark registrations in Austria may be renewed for periods of ten years provided that renewal of registration is applied within one year before the expiration date. It is possible to apply for renewal within a grace period of six months after the expiration date on the condition that a surcharge is paid.
Duration of the Trademark Application registration procedure
The process takes approximately 3-4 months in case of a smooth registration procedure.
An Austrian trademark that has not been used within five continuous years after its registration can be revoked upon request of any third person.
Representation by an Austrian trademark attorney
For applicants not residing in Austria, Switzerland, or the EEA (European Economic Area), it is necessary to perform trademark registration through an agent, a registered Austrian trademark, or a patent attorney.
- Online Search Databases: Austrian Trademarks, EU Trademarks, International Trademarks.
- Trademark protection in Austria may also be obtained via registration of a European Union Trademark.
- The time limit for responding to the refusal of an international registration in Austria is three months from the date of the refusal. The three-month term may be extended by the filing of a corresponding request. Applicants not residing in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland must file the response through an Austrian patent attorney. The Austrian patent office does not accept requests for revision or appeals to the provisional refusal. Appeals can be filed before the Higher Regional Court in Vienna within 2 months after the final decision of the Office.
If you have any queries related to the Trademark Filing in Austria, please contact IIPLA team. We will be more than happy to resolve your queries free of cost.
If you wish to request a quote for Austria, please fill the below form: